I am a Research Engineer in the
Discovery and Systems Health Area
of the Intelligent Systems
Ames Research Center
in Mountain View, California.
Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, University of Cincinnati, 1996.
M.S. Electrical Engineering, University of New Hampshire, 1991.
B.S. Electrical Engineering, University of New Hampshire, 1988.
Areas of interest:
Bayesian statistical inference for physics:
Infinite process models (e.g. dirichlet process mixture models)
- Markov Chain Monte Carlo
- Hidden Markov models
- Wire Fault Detection for Aging Aircraft
- Electromagnetic Simulations using COMSOL
I have been fortunate to have had opportunities to contribute to a broad array of research areas from robotics, system health management, Earth science to human machine interfaces.
After graduation, I joined the IBM Almaden Research Center to develop web-mining algorithms. In 1997, I joined the Intelligent Systems Division, NASA Ames Research Center. My fundamental research interest is in the application of probabilistic inference to enable automation.
Currently I am engaged in finite element simulations of electromagnetics using COMSOL and developing large scale parallel algorithms for inference with multi-modal posteriors.
- Wire Fault Detection for Aging Aircraft
- Small hole in shield fault simulations in COMSOL
- Bayesian inference of fault parameters
- Tele-presence for Remote Supervision of Robotics
- Successfully proposed for funding in new area of research of telepresence for humanoid robotics
- Created multi-center (ARC, JSC) partnerships
- Designed and integration of novel pattern recognition software to enable prediction and control of robotics across time-delays.
- Gesture recognition of EMG data with Hidden Markov Models
- Created Bayesian non-linear time-series analysis of EMG signals.
- Development of near real-time DSP under Windows NT
- Development of localized frequency transforms.
- Wearable Computer with EMG capability
- PC-104 COTS components
- Custom designed pre-amplifiers
- Real-time Image Tracking Algorithm for Space Shuttle Docking
- Developed real-time image processing algorithms in C on Datacube image processing equipment.
- Integrated software with custom designed hardware for log-polar image mapping.
- Distributed control with distributed reinforcement learning based agents
- Design and development of large scale distributed agent simulation environment.
- Application of distributed agents to solution of econometric problems.
- Application of distributed agents to setting variable toll rates to alleviate traffic congestion.
- Noise Reduction in Non-uniformly Sampled Data with Wavelets
- Designed and implemented in C++ and Matlab irregular wavelet based noise reduction algorithms.
- Presented seminars on the usage of biorthogonal wavelets.
- Fault Detection of Space Shuttle Main Engine Sensors
- NASA Exceptional Achievement Medal (Presidential Rank Honor Award)
- NASA Recognition for invention: Characterization of Bio-electric Potentials
- NASA Fellowship for neural network based SSME diagnostics Ph.D. research
- Cincinnati Gas and Electric Fellowship for neural network power grid diagnostic
- IBM: SurfAid web analytics (U.S. Patent No. 6338066)
- NASA: Characterization of Bio-electric Potentials (U.S. Patent No. 6720984)
- Kevin Wheeler, Mindy Chang, Kevin Knuth, "Gesture Based Control and EMG Decomposition", IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part C: Applications and Reviews, Vol. 36, No. 4, pp. 503-514, July, 2006.
- Stefan Schuet, Dogan Timucin, Kevin Wheeler, "A Model-Based Probabilistic Inversion Framework for Characterizing Wire Fault Detection Using TDR", IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 60, No. 5, pp.1654-1663, May, 2011.
[ paper (PDF)]
- Kevin R. Wheeler, Tolga Kurtoglu, Scott D. Poll, "A Survey of Health Management User Objectives Related to Diagnostic and Prognostic Metrics", International Journal of Prognostics and Health Management, Vol. 1, No. 1, 2010.
[ paper (PDF)]
- Leonard Trejo, Kevin R. Wheeler, Charles c. Jorgensen, Roman Rosipal, Sam Clanton, Bryan Matthews, Andrew D. Hibbs, Robert Matthews, Micahel Krupka, "Multimodal Neuroelectric Interface Development: A Survey of Research at NASA Ames Research Center", IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, Special Issue on BCI, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 199-203, 2003.
- Kevin R. wheeler and Charles C. Jorgensen, "Gestures as Input: Neuroelectric Joysticks and Keyboards", IEEE Pervasive Computing, Vol. 2, No. 2, April-June, 2003.
- David H. Wolpert, Kevin R. Wheeler, Kagan Tumer, "Collective Intelligence for Control of Distributed Dynamical Systems", , Europhysics Letters, Vol. 49, No. 6, pp. 708-714, March 2000.
- Kevin R. Wheeler, Atam P. Dhawan, and Claudia M. Meyer, "SSME Sensor Modeling Using Radial Basis Function Neural Networks", AIAA Journal on Spacecraft and Rockets, vol. 31, no. 6, pp.1054 - 1069, 1994.
Conferences and Workshops
- S Schuet, D. Timucin, K. Wheeler, "Verification of Small Hole Theory for Application to Wire Chafing Resulting in Shield Faults", Aircraft Airworthiness and Sustainment, San Diego, CA, 2010.
- S.R. Schuet, D.A. Timcuin, K.R. wheeler, "A Model-based Probabilistic Inversion Framework for Wire Fault Detection Using TDR", IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Technology conference (I2MTC), pp.422-425, 2010.
- Dogan Timucin, Stefan Schuet, Kevin Wheeler, "Electrical Wire Chafe Fault Detection Analysis", Joint Conference on Aircraft Airworthiness and Sustainment, 2010.
- Kevin Wheeler, Tolga Kurtoglu, Scott Poll, "A Survey of Health Management User Objectives Related to Diagnostic and Prognostic Metrics", ASME IDETC Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, 2009.
- Stefan Schuet, Kevin Wheeler, Dogan Timucin, Phil Wysocki, Mark Kowalski, "Model Based Inference for Wire Chafe Diagnostics", Joint Conference on Aging Aircraft, 2009.
- Kevin Wheeler, Ian Twombly, Stefan Schuet, Dogan Timucin, Jules Friedrich, "Health Management for Wire Insulator Integrity", International Conference on Prognostics and Health Management, 2008.
- Kevin R. Wheeler, Joseph P. Castle, Kevin H. Knuth, "Accurate Biomass Estimation via Bayesian Adaptive Sampling", American Geophysical Union, San Francisco, CA, December, 2005.
- Kevin H. Knuth, Anthony Gotera, Charles T. Curry, Karen A. Huyser, Kevin R. Wheeler, William B. Rossow, "Revealing Relationships among Relevant Climate Variables with Information Theory", Earth-Sun System Technology Conference (ESTC-2005), Adelphi, MD, 2005.
- Kevin R. wheeler, Rodney Martin, Mark Allan, Thomas Willeke, "Predictive Interfaces for Long-Distance Tele-operations", 8th International Symposium on Artificial Intelligence, Robotics and Automation in Space, Munich Germany, 2005.
- Morten Nonboe Andersen, Rasmus Orum Andersen, Kevin Wheeler, "Filtering in Hybrid Dynamic Bayesian Networks", IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), Vol. 5, pp.773-776, 17-21 May, 2004.
- Kevin Wheeler, "Device Control Using Gestures Sensed from EMG", IEEE International Workshop on Soft Computing in Industrial Applications, Binghamton New York, June 23-25, 2003.
- Kevin Wheeler, Mark Allan, Charles Curry, "Lessons Learned From Developing a Streaming Data Framework for Scientific Analysis", Sixth Workshop on Mining Scientific and Engineering Datasets at SIAM International Conference on Data Mining, May 1-3, 2003.
- Leonard Trejo, Kevin Wheeler, Charles C. Jorgensen, Roman Rosipal, "Multimodal Neuroelectric Human-Computer Interface Development", Brain-Computer Interfaces for Communication and Control, Second International Meeting, Rensselaerville, NY, June 12-16, 2002.
- Chuck Jorgensen, Kevin Wheeler, "Letting Thoughts Take Wing", Aerospace America, AIAA, March, 2002, pp. 33-37.
- Kevin Wheeler, Charles Jorgensen, "Neural-electric Virtual Devices", NASA/DoD Workshop on Bioinspired Engineering of Exploration Systems, 2000.
- Charles Jorgensen, Kevin Wheeler, Slawomir Stepniewski, "Bioelectric Flight Control of a 757 Class High Fidelity Aircraft Simulator", , World Automation Congress, 2000.
- David Wolpert, Kevin Wheeler, Kagan Tumer, "General Principles of Learning-Based Multi-Agent Systems", Third International Conference on Automonous Agents, pp. 77-83, May 1999, Seattle, WA.
- Kevin R. Wheeler, Atam P. Dhawan, "Basis Selection for Wavelet Regression", Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 12, 1998.
- Kevin R. Wheeler, "Smoothing Non-uniform Data Samples with Wavelets", Ph.D. Thesis, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati OH, 1996.
- Kevin R. Wheeler and Atam P. Dhawan, "SSME Parameter Estimation Using Radial Basis Function Neural Networks", IEEE International Conference On Neural Networks, World Congress on Computational Intelligence, Orlando, FL, June 26 - July 2, 1994.
- Kevin R. Wheeler, Atam P. Dhawan, and Claudia M. Meyer, "SSME Sensor Modeling Using Radial Basis Function Neural Networks", 30th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference, Indianapolis, IN, June 27-29, 1994.
- Atam P. Dhawan and Kevin Wheeler, "SSME Parameter Modeling with Neural Networks", SAE Aerospace Atlantic Conference, Dayton, OH, April 18-22, 1994.
- Kevin Wheeler and Richard Messner, "Coordinate Mapping for Pointing and Tracking", Proceedings of SPIE's Cambridge Symposium, November, 1990.
- Rodney Martin, Kevin Wheeler, Mark Allan, Vytas SunSpiral, "Optimized Algorithms for Prediction within Robotic Tele-Operative Interfaces", NASA STI Report, TM 2010-216417, November, 2010.
- Kevin R. Wheeler, Dogan A. Timucin, I. Xander Twombly, Kai F. Goebel, Phil f. Wysocki, "Aging Aircraft Wiring Fault Detection Survey", Unpublished Technical Report, June, 2007.