Deepak Shyamkant Kulkarni, Ph.D. is a senior research computer scientist within the Intelligent Systems Division at NASA Ames Research Center. For over 15 years, Dr. Kulkarni has managed NASA research and development projects in the areas of data mining, diagnostic systems and collaborative systems. He has been the principal investigator on several long-term projects with successful NASA deployments in engineering, and aviation domains. His contributions have been recognized by several NASA awards including a NASA Ames Honor Award for contributions to Travelling Space Musuem Project (2010), NASA Honor Award for ADIS work (2005), NASA Group Achievement Award for Exploration Systems work (2005), Space Act Award for ADIS work (2004), NASA Tech Briefs Award (2004), Semantic Organizer Space Act Award (2003), Ames Group Achievement Awards (1998, 1999). He is on the editorial board of International Journal of Operations Research and Information Systems. SAE recognized his work with Arch T. Colwell Merit Award in 2013. Deepak Kulkarni is also involved in coaching students for math competitions including Math Kangaroo and MOEMS. and maintains Creative Math website. Some of his projects are listed below.
Aviation Data Integration System : Many airlines routinely review flight data and seek voluntary safety reports to identify anomalous events and ways to improve flight safety. These events may pinpoint potential problems in flight operations that could grow to cause an accident. Apart from human performance and mechanical factors, environmental conditions contribute to understanding what happened. Knowing the weather allows safety analysts to determine whether an event needs more detailed study. Aviation Data Integration System (ADIS) isa Web-based archive that integrates environmental data from more than 100 airports, giving flight safety analysts access to weather data previously unavailable to them.
Models of Impact of Weather on Aviation Delays : This work models relating national
delay, center level delays and weather. The
methodology used traffic data during the spring and
summer over a three-year period in the United
States. The results indicate: (a) the method for
estimating the delay at the national level can be
extended to estimate delay at the regional level,
(b) the estimation of national delay as the sum
of regional delays produces a national delay
estimate of comparable accuracy, while
providing insights into differential impacts of
regional weather on delays, and (c) the national
delay can be estimated accurately by observing
the behavior of 5 or 6 prominent centers.
KEKADA : Deepak Kulkarni developed KEKADA discovery system as a part of his doctorate thesis. KEKADA is constructed to simulate the sequence of experiments carried out by Hans Krebs and his colleague, Kurt Henseleit, between July 1931 and April 1932, which produced the elucidation of the chemical pathways for synthesis of urea in the liver. This discovery of the ornithine cycle was the first demonstration of the existence of a cycle in the metabolic biochemistry. Simon and Kulkarni's source for this episode is "Hans Krebs and the Discovery of the Ornithine Cycle" in Federation Proceedings (1980) by Frederic L. Holmes of Yale University. Holmes also made himself available to Simon and Kulkarni for consultation in 1986 when their study was in progress. The organization of KEKADA is based on a two-space model of learning.
- Kulkarni, D. Enjoying Math: Mastering Math Olympiad Problems with Fun Puzzles. Recreational Math Publications. 2012.
- Kulkarni, D. Enjoying Math: Learning Problem Solving with KenKen Puzzles. Recreational Math Publications. 2012. Available as paperback and ebook.
- Kulkarni, D. Fun Puzzles with Math Olympiad Problems as Clues. CreateSpace. 2012.
- Wang, Y. and Kulkarni, D. Modeling Weather Impact on Ground Delay Programs. SAE Aerotech Conference, 2011. Also Published in SAE International Journal of Aerospace. Volume 4, pp 1207-1215, November 2011.
- Kulkarni, D. Predictive Models of Duration of Ground Delay Programs in New York Area Airports. ATIO Conference. 2011
- Sridhar, B., Kulkarni, D. and Sheth, K. Impact of Uncertainty on the Prediction of Airspace Complexity of Congested Sectors. Air Traffic Control Quarterly. Volume 19, Number 1. 2011.
- Kulkarni, D. Characterization of Ground Delay Program Duration, NASA Technical Report TM-216409, 2010
- Kulkarni, D. Use of Cliffhanger Contests in Teaching Creative Math Problem Solving, NASA Technical Report TM-216407, 2010
- Wolfe, S. and Kulkarni, D. Predicting Peak Sector Occupancy with Two-Hour Convective Weather Forecasts, GNC Conference, 2010
- Sridhar, B. and Kulkarni, D. Impact of uncertainty on the prediction of airspace complexity of congested sectors. Digital Avionics and Systems Conference. 2009
- Sridhar, B and Kulkarni, D. Prediction of weather related delays in the continental United States, ICAS 2008
- Kulkarni, D. System For Secure Integration Of Aviation Data" NASA Tech Briefs, March 2007
- Kulkarni, D. Integrated Use of Data Mining and Statistical Analysis Methods to Analyze Air Traffic Delays, SAE AEROTECH Conference, 2007
- Kulkarni, D. and Wang, Y. Lessons learnt from Aviation Data Integration Project, World Aviation Congress, 2005
- Kulkarni, D., Wang, Y., Patel H., Windrem M. and Wei, M. Use of Data Mining and Summarization techniques for presentation of aviation data, World Aviation Congress, 2004
- Kulkarni, D., Wang, Y., Patel H., Windrem M. and Wei, M. Use of Intelligent agents in improving Quality of Service of distributed data access, World Aviation Congress, 2004
- Kulkarni, D. Wang, Y. and Keller, R. “Aviation Data Integration System” NASA Tech Briefs Journal, 2004
- Naveen Ashish, Deepak Kulkarni and Yao Wang. “Source Update Capture in Information Agents” IJCAI workshop on Information Integration On the web, 2003
- D. Kulkarni, Y Wang, M. Windrem, H. Patel and R. Keller. “Aviation Data Integration System”, World Aviation Conference, Montreal, 2003
- H. Patel, D. Lau and D. Kulkarni, “XML Compression Advisory Tool”, World Aviation Conference, Montreal, 2003
- Kulkarni, D. and Simon, H. Testing Computer Models of Scientific Discovery. In CMU Digial Archive Herbert Simon Collection. 2000. Also On NASA website
- Bajwa A. and Kulkarni, D., 36th AIAA Joint Propulsion Conference. AIAA 2000-3627 Engine Data Analysis Using Decision Trees. 2000
- Kulkarni, Deepak and Marietta, Roberta, Integrated Functional and Executional Modeling Of Software Using Web-based Databases. International Workshop on Issues and Applications of Database Technology (IADT). pp 482-490. Reprint in Journal of Society of Design and Process Science. Vol. 4. No. 3, 2000
- Lowry, M., Boyd, M. and Kulkarni, Deepak, Towards a Theory of Integration of Mathematical Verification and Empirical Testing. Automated Software Engineering Conference. 1998
- Patterson-Hine, A., Wang, Yao, Kulkarni, Deepak Propulsion Checkout and Control System, IEEE SMC Conference. 1998
- Kulkarni, Deepak and Marietta, Roberta, Integrated Functional and Executional Modeling Of Software Using Web-based Databases. Journal of Database Management, Vol. 9 No. 4. 1998
- Kulkarni, D., Patterson-Hine, A., Holthaus, M., Deb S. and Pattipati, K., Degradation Detection and Testability Analysis in Propulsion Checkout. And Control System. SAE AeroTech Conference, 1996
- Manganaris, S., Fisher, D. and Kulkarni, D., Towards a machine learning framework for acquiring and exploiting monitoring and diagnostic knowledge. In Proc. Of the Eleventh Applications of Artificial Intelligence Conference: Knowledge-based Systems in Aerospace and Industry, pages 101-112, Orlando, FL, April 1993
- Manganaris, S., Fisher, D. and Kulkarni, D., Discovering operating modes in telemetry data from the shuttle reaction control system. In Proc. Of Seventh Annual Workshop on Space Operations, Applications, and Research (SOAR'93), JSC, Houston, TX, August 1993. NASA
- Kulkarni, D. and Kutulakos, K., PSF: Probabilistic Scale Space Filtering Program. NASA Tech Briefs Journal, 1993
- Kulkarni, D, Kutulakos, K. and Robinson, P., Data Analysis using Scale-space filtering and Bayesian probabilistic reasoning, Computers in Chemistry, 16 (1), 1992
- Kulkarni, D. and Robinson, P., An Expert System for monitoring dynamic aspects of RCS. AIAA Space Programs and Technologies Conference, 1992
- Kulkarni, D. Propagating Qualitative Values through Quantitative Equations. NASA FIA Technical Report FIA-92-38, 1992
- Kulkarni, D. Overestimated Interval Expression Evaluation is NP-Hard. NASA Technical Report FIA-92-37, 1992
- Kulkarni, D. and Simon, H. Experimentation in Machine Discovery. NASA Ames Research Center, Technical Report FIA-90-09-24-01, 1990. Also appears as a book chapter in “Computational Models of Scientific Discovery and Theory Formation” Edited by J. Shrager and P. Langley, San Mateo, CA. Morgan Kaufmann, 1990
- Kulkarni, D. and Simon, H. The Role of Experimentation in Scientific Theory Revision. Proceedings of the sixth international workshop on machine learning, 1989
- Kulkarni, D. and Simon, H. The Processes of scientific discovery: The Strategy of Experimentation , Cognitive Science, 12 (2), 1988. Reprint as a book chapter in Simon A.H. (1989) “Models of thought 2” New Haven and London, Yale University Press. p.357-382
- Kulkarni, D.
The Processes of scientific research: The Strategy of Experimentation , Charleston:Createspace. 2012.
Online Articles I have authored
Websites I recommend on NASA K-12 Math Education