Chetan S. Kulkarni
Chetan S. Kulkarni is a staff researcher at the Prognostics Center of Excellence and the Diagnostics and Prognostics Group in the Intelligent Systems Division at NASA Ames Research Center. His current research interests are in Systems Prognostics and Health Management and specifically focused in the area of developing component level physics-based models, prognostics of electronic systems, battery prognostics and cryogenic fueling system prognostics and hybrid systems.
From August 2007 - December 2012, he was a Graduate Research Assistant with the Institute for Software Integrated Systems and Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN. His graduate research work was focused on fault diagnosis and prognosis of avionics electronic systems, degradation mechanisms, developing physics-based models and prognostics at component level for power converters and their effect on avionics systems. Prior coming to Vanderbilt he was a Research Fellow at the Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT-Bombay, where his research work focused on developing low cost substation automation system monitoring and control devices and partial discharge on transformers. Earlier to that he was member of the technical team of the Power Automation group at Honeywell Automation India Ltd (HAIL) for 4 years, where he was involved in turnkey power automation projects and also product development in the area of substation automation.
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Dec 2012. Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN.
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, May 2009. Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN.
- B.E., Electronics & Electrical Engineering, June 2002. University of Pune, Pune, India
- Kulkarni C.S., J Celaya, G. Biswas, and K Goebel, "Physics Based Degradation models for Capacitor Prognostics under Thermal Overstress Conditions", International Journal on Prognostics and Health Management, International Journal for Prognostics and Health Management Vol 3 (2) 005.
- J. Celaya, Kulkarni C.S., G. Biswas, and K Goebel, "Prognostic Studies and Physics of failure modeling under High Electrical Stress for Electrolytic Capacitors", International Journal on Prognostics and Health Management, International Journal for Prognostics and Health Management Vol 3 (2) 004.
- C. S. Kulkarni, J. R. Celaya, K. Goebel, and G. Biswas, “Bayesian framework approach for prognostic studies in electrolytic capacitor under thermal overstress conditions,” in Annual Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society, (Minneapolis, MN), September 2012. Best Application Paper Award.
- Kulkarni C.S., J Celaya, G. Biswas, and K Goebel , "Prognostics Health Management and Physics based failure Models for Electrolytic Capacitors", American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, AIAA Infotech@Aerospace Conference, June 19 - 21 2012, Garden Grove, CA. Best Student Paper Award
- J. R. Celaya, C. Kulkarni, G. Biswas, S. Saha, and K. Goebel, “A Model-based Prognostics Methodology for Electrolytic Capacitors Based on Electrical Overstress Accelerated Aging,” in Annual Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society, (Montreal QC, Canada), September 2011. Best Application Paper Award.
- Kulkarni C.S., G. Biswas, X. Koutsoukos, K. Goebel and J. Celaya, "Integrated Diagnostic/Prognostic Experimental Setup for Capacitor Degradation and Health Monitoring", IEEE AUTOTESTCON 2010, pp 1-7, September 2010, Orlando, FL. Best Student Paper Award
Complete list of publications is here
- Session Co-chair at the 2014 IEEE Aerospace conference.
- Mentor for NASA Boys and Girls Summer Program 2013.
- Sigma Xi - The Scientific Research Society Nominated Full Member March 2013 – Present
- Science Fair Judge : 2013 Synopsys Championship organized by Santa Clara Valley Science and Engineering Fair Association - March 2013.
- Judge : NASA Ames Student Space Settlement Contest March 2013
- Working Group – IEEE P1856 – Standard Framework for Prognostics and Health Management of Electronic Systems
- Technical Program Chair Committee – Annual Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society 2012, 2013.
-IEEE International Power and Energy Conference 2012
-First European Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society 2012.
-Annual Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.
-IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems.
- IEEE, Aerospace & Electronic Systems Society( 2010- present),
- Instrumentation & Measurement Society ( 2009 – present)
- AIAA Society(2010 – present)
- IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IES) ( 2012- present)
Chetan S. Kulkarni, PhD
Research Engineer II,
Prognostics Center of Excellence
Intelligent Systems Division
NASA Ames Research Center
Mail Stop 269-3
Moffett Field, CA 94035